Sunday, March 25, 2012

Apple Strudel

My mom originally found this recipe in a Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook, that she had purchased when we visited the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania.  The area is a wonderful place to visit and some of my favorite memories are of trips I took there as a teenager and again as an adult.

Anyway, back to the recipe.  I love to bake and I love apples.  It doesn't have to be autumn for me to bake with apples, I will use them any time during the year.

One way that we love to eat this dessert, is with vanilla ice cream.  But, it is good plain too. I am going to write the recipe as it came from the book and then my adaptations, will be in ( ). 


Pennsylvania Dutch - Apple or Peach Strudel
Into the bottom of a buttered baking dish(9x9 inch), put thick layers of apples or peaches.
Sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.*
Dot with lumps of butter.
Into mixing bowl, combine:
1 cup sugar (1/2 cup granulated, 1/2 cup brown)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour (1/2 c flour, 1/2 c quick cooking oatmeal)
1/2 tsp salt
Add one egg to this mixture and mix until crumbly. Spread over apples, bake in moderate oven (350 F) until crust is brown and apples tender. (30 minutes)
Serve plain, with milk, whipped cream or ice cream.
*Cinnamon/Sugar = 1/2 cup sugar + 1 Tbsp cinnamon.

This recipe is a family favorite, I hope you will enjoy it too. :)

1 comment: