Sunday, July 9, 2017

Macaroni and Cheese Recipe, Weaving, Knitting and Sewing!

We were invited to our daughter's home for a July 4th celebration. In thinking about what food items to bring, I remembered another recipe that I found in my mom's favorite cookbook.
 
When I originally found the recipe, I found the title a little funny, but maybe it is just me. Remember this cookbook was my mom's favorite. She was using it after I was born, until she stopped cooking in about 2015. :) So, it was at least published around 1950 - 1960. This beloved book has no cover and no table of contents, however, the index is paper clipped to some pages. However, there isn't a print year/copyright year, or even publisher.  All that said, the book is really pretty old. (however, I am not old. Haha!) Back to the recipe title: Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese. When I saw that I chuckled, thinking, "how old is this recipe, when the book was published about 60+ years ago and the recipe was considered old then!" Do you find it humorous, too?
 
The recipe is super easy and my family loves it! When we left our daughter's home, the dish was empty. :) So, I thought that I would share the recipe.
 
 
Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
4 cups cooked macaroni(2 cups dry)cooked according to pkg directions.
2 Tbsp butter, cut in pieces.
1 1/4 cups cubed/grated sharp cheese.
1/2 tsp salt.
1/4 tsp pepper.
2 eggs, beaten.
3 cups milk.
Extra cheese for topping(optional).
 
Heat oven to 350F. Combine cooked macaroni, butter, cheese and seasonings. Place in greased 2-qt size baking dish. Combine eggs and milk; pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with paprika, buttered cracker/bread crumbs or extra cheese. Bake 40 - 50 minutes. 6 servings.
NOTE: I put the macaroni in a 3-qt size dish, my 2-qt was being used elsewhere. In looking at the picture you may think the dish is too big. Yep, it was, cause Joanne(me) used the wrong size. hahaha!
 
Weaving!
 Last year, before we moved, I had started weaving the triangle pieces for a wrap/shawl. I had only finished one, when I need to pack up my supplies. Finally, after I had everything unpacked and set up, I  was able to weave the other three triangles needed.  I have a small triangle loom which produces a triangle that has the longest side measuring about 24." 

I decided that I wanted to attach them so that they made the shape below.  I also wanted to crochet lace inserts to be the joining pieces between the triangles and eventually, a lace border around the entire piece. I had used a chunky weight Bernat cotton/acrylic blend for the triangles, and in keeping with the cotton thought, I pulled a cotton yarn off my shelf for the inserts and a cone of rayon yarn for the edging.
 
The yarn used for the lace inserts was a sport weight and the yarn for the weaving was a chunky weight. The rayon yarn used for the edging was a bit finer, so I doubled it to work with it. I love the different texture that each yarn has brought to the garment. I used a size I(US) aluminum crochet hook for the crochet sections.

Here is the wrap pinned out and blocking. I have crocheted some flowers to embellish it, and should get those stitched on this week.
 
Knitting
Next, out of my finished and unloved projects, I pulled this cotton bag, which is lined and even has pockets inside.  I had mistakenly put the wooden handles on in a way that you could hardly get your hand inside the bag to use it! I did try using the bag and it did work, but not conveniently.
 
So, I tore, well not really, I gently ripped out my knitting and was able to disconnect the handles. I picked up all those free stitches, who were waiting to unravel like little minions and create havoc, and then placed them onto a size 8 (US) needle.
 
When I decided to fix it, I didn't bother with a before picture, until I had already started to take it apart.

 
 
I searched the internet, to try to get some inspiration about how to finish the top of this bag. And came up with some boho/shabby chic ideas.
 
Using a couple of different yarns, I knitted a top border and then bound off the top. I used the gray cotton yarn and knitted a 5 stitch I-cord for the handle, making it long enough for a cross-body bag. I made a 3 stitch I-cord for the button loop. I also made several fringe/tassel type pieces out of the yarns used, and attached some great beads to them. I attached the fringe to one side of the bag. Then I attached some large sequin type beads to the other side of the front. 
Done!!
 
 
 
My youngest grandchild is now 2 years old. Her birthday was in June and I decided to make her some summer dresses for her birthday. Here they are! It was a lot of fun sewing these for her and knowing how comfortable and cool they will be for her in her Florida climate.