Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Memorial Day. The day when we remember the soldiers who fought for our wonderful freedoms and safety, whether they are still with us, or have passed on.

It can be said that I am pretty much from a military family. Although, none were in for their careers, they did, however, give up many years of their lives to serve our country, and they put their lives on the line for our freedom. The freedoms that we so enjoy today.

From the most recent to the past I want to thank: Our son-in-law, Chad(from the Bosnia era); and my husband, Jeff(Vietnam era). Next to remember: my Dad, Doug(who is listed as a WWII hero, fought in the Pacific theatre as a bombardier). Both my dad and mom had uncles in WWI and I had an uncle who also fought in WWII and a second cousin, who fought in Vietnam, he was shot up landing a helicopter to rescue the injured American soldiers. Actually, there are more in my family's ancestry too. My mom's Dad traced her family all the way back to their European roots. I do have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary war and the wars after that war.

We can only imagine the sacrifices that these men made. We can only imagine the sacrifices that their families, spouses, and fiances made.

I remember back in the late 1980's we took a trip to Philadelphia. I was able to take the girls around the city to see Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Thomas Jefferson's home, a statue of Ben Franklin(made from pennies!), Carpenter's Hall and we went to see Betsy Ross's home. In Betsy Ross's home, we were shown a room that was set up with a table and the supplies for her to make the musket balls. It seems the women were making the supplies for the men to use. I had really never given much thought to the women's roles, before that day. Sure does make one think, anyway.

Again, I wish to thank all of our soldiers from the past to the present, whether they are men or women, and their families, for the sacrifices they make each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment