Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Free-form Scarf and Pattern

 I have been doing more free form knitting and crochet projects lately. I am really enjoying them, too.
Here is a scarf that I made, mainly from handspun yarns that I had in my stash.



Some of the yarns, were art yarns, that I spun several years ago.  All are very soft!


This scarf is a great stash buster! You can use bits and pieces of leftover yarns, if you want to.

I used many various yarns to knit this scarf.


I thought that I would write some very simple directions for this scarf.

Free form knitting, or crochet, is just that.  You sort of know what you want to do and then just keep adjusting until you like it. You can add different stitch patterns into the project or change colors when you want to.  Want to do a row of lace? Go for it. Want to do a short row and turn around? Go for it.  It is to be fun and serendipitous.  Yes, there can be some problem solving.  Sometimes you may need to rip and re-do an idea that didn't work, but we do that anyway when we make a mistake with a regular pattern.

This scarf is a great stash buster! You can use bits and pieces of leftover yarns, if you want to.
I used many various yarns to knit this scarf. I used a mixture of my handspun and some mill spun yarns.

The scarf was made by knitting lengthwise. Most yarns were bulky weight and I used  size 11 US (8 mm) knitting needles.

Leaving a long tail(for fringe) cast on about 50(or more) stitches using your favorite cast on method. Then knit one row. End off the original color and start a new color. When starting the new color leave a long tail in the beginning of the row and then leave a long tail at the end of the row, when ending off that color. These tails become the fringe.

Knit each row, unless you want to add in a lace stitch or another textured stitch pattern.  I added in a row or two of Old Shale(Feather and Fan), that is what caused the slight zig-zag.

Periodically, increase stitches, so that the length of the scarf becomes the total length you need to be able to wrap around your neck.
When your scarf is the length and width that you want it to be, bind off. Block and trim fringe even, or not. :)
It is free-form and you can be structured with your fringe or not.  :)

Are you a crocheter?? You can make this scarf, by using a similar size hook and single crochet. You can work any crochet stitch that you wish, actually, and can add in a lace stitch or textured stitch, just like the knitters.

1 comment: