Friday, January 14, 2011

Graham Cracker Toffee Bars

I love toffee. Do you? I tried to make toffee two times. It was a nightmare. The first time, I actually broke the Pyrex dish when I poured in the hot toffee. The next time, it was under cooked and I had a crumbly mess on my hands. Then I found this recipe. I don't just make it at Christmas either, I will actually make it a couple of times throughout the year. Valentine's Day is coming soon and this might be a great idea to make, a sweet for your sweetie.


Graham Cracker Toffee
2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 box graham crackers
1 -12 oz bag of chocolate chips.(I use 2 cups of semi-sweet or bittersweet chips)

Layer crackers on a deep cookie sheet(15 x 10 x 1"). Melt butter and brown sugar, bring to a boil and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from stove and pour over crackers. Bake 7 -9 minutes at 350F. Remove from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top while hot, so that the chips melt. When the chips are completely melted, spread them evenly over the top with a knife. Then cut into rectangles, or any shape you want, while still hot. Remove from pan and allow to cool on waxed paper.

One day, I will conquer real toffee. But, until then we enjoy these.

One of my friends suggested trying the recipe with a saltier cracker, so you get the salt, sweet, chocolate flavor. I think that would be great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment