Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year. We had a quiet New Year's Eve and we are enjoying time off this weekend.

Before Christmas, I had the opportunity to visit the Kimball art museum in Ft Worth. My oldest daughter had won tickets to the Mayan exhibit and asked if I had wanted to go. I said, SURE!
So, on the Thursday before Christmas, she and her daughters and I, went to the museum. The museum had a very large Christmas tree, with some absolutely gorgeous ornaments on it. So, Nicole and Claire each picked their favorite on the tree. Here they are.



I think that both the ornaments are very pretty.
I took a picture of the next one, because I think it can be made very easily if you want to start on NEXT Christmas.





Looks to me like they took a simple pine cone and sprayed it with silver paint. While the paint was still wet, they used sparkles and sprinkled them all over the pine cone. It truly was a beautiful ornament.

The Mayan exhibit was very interesting. Unfortunately, and for good reasons, we weren't allowed to take pictures of anything in the exhibit. I would've like to have taken a picture of one item.
It was a 6 inch tall sculpture of a woman weaving on a backstrap loom. If my memory is right, the estimated date for it was 650 -950 AD.

No comments:

Post a Comment