Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hummingbird 2 and Coffee Cake

This week proved to be very interesting in the hummingbird world, around the house in the woods. I had allowed myself to use up all of the store bought mix for the hummingbird drink, because I wanted to try the homemade mix that I had a recipe for. I had found the recipe on the internet.

When I refilled the fabulous blue feeder, with the red spout, all was quiet and then it happened. We started having hummingbird wars! Good grief, didn't they know there was plenty to go around? I thought about lecturing them on sharing. I thought about time out, but couldn't find a pattern for a hummingbird chair. There was just no talking to a bird. LOL!

So, I capitulated. Today we went to Lowe's. The UPS Store guy purchased his man stuff, but we also went to the bird aisle and found hummingbird feeders. Here is one that I found and purchased. Maybe I can show them there is plenty. We'll see.



This one has 4 little spouts and I still have the blue one up. If they cannot figure out how to share and still want to have wars, then so be it.


Yummmm. I have been looking through the cookbook, that I found those cinnamon cookies in, and found this very easy coffee cake. Simple ingredients and much less expensive and can be better for you than a purchased one. You can substitute part whole wheat flour for part of the white flour. You can also use extra virgin olive oil, in place of the shortening. If you do that you just mix the olive oil to the flour, there is no need to cut it in, obviously. I did replace the shortening with the oil(extra virgin olive oil) and it tasted very good.




Coffee Cake

Filling and topping
½ cup brown sugar 2 Tbs. melted butter
2 tsp cinnamon ½ c chopped nuts
2 Tbs flour ¼ c dates or raisins
Blend these ingredients together well, set aside.

Coffee cake batter
1 ½ c sifted flour ¼ c shortening
3 tsp baking powder 1 egg
¼ tsp salt ½ c milk
¾ c sugar
-Mix dry ingredients in bowl and cut in shortening.
-Beat egg well, and add milk to egg.
-Pour liquid into dry ingredients, mix.
-Spread half of the batter into a greased 8x8” or 9x9” pan.
-On top of this sprinkle half of the filling.
-Next spread the other half of the batter on top of the filling.
-Last sprinkle the remaining half of the filling on top.
-Bake 375 F for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
-When cool sprinkle with confectioners/powdered sugar if desired.

There you have it. Hope you enjoy this coffee cake. :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! Well, how did your TDF go? I just finished taking photos and now have to get back to work. Daylight's burning!

    ReplyDelete