Monday, June 15, 2009

Donut Muffins

You know as families are trying to be careful and balance their own budgets in the economic times of the present, they are looking for ways to stretch their dollars. One way is to cook. I mean, actually, to cook or bake from scratch. Over the years, I have cooked and baked most things from scratch. Some unsuccessfully and some successfully. Like the first time I baked bread. I was a new bride, wanting to impress the UPS guy at how talented I was. Hahaha! I didn't realize that yeast would die after the expiration date on the package. I sat for hours waiting for that darn bread to rise. What do you do with bread that is refusing to rise?? Well, I tried baking it and let me tell you, that didn't work. I also tried rolling it out flatter, that didn't work. So, I learned a hard lesson that day. What did the UPS guy do?? Well, he started buying me cookbooks. Heeeheee!


The recipe below is one of my family's favorites. I am going to write out the recipe as it reads and then tell you what I do different. There isn't any yeast, so if you are a new baker don't be afraid to try these. I found the recipe for these in a little newspaper years ago, when we were living in Minnesota.


Doughnut Muffins (makes 12 muffins)
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk

Place shortening, sugar and egg in mixing bowl and beat. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Then, add and stir the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, to the shortening mixture in the mixing bowl. Fill greased muffin pans 3/4 full and bake in 350 F oven for 20 -30 minutes. Remove from pan and roll in melted butter, then in a sugar and cinnamon mixture.

My changes: 1.For the shortening, I use oil. 2.I don't roll them in butter, too greasy. I take a pad of butter and rub the top. Then shake a mixture of cinnamon/sugar over the tops.
3. I have used applesauce in place of the shortening or oil, they still taste good, but have a slightly different texture. It is worth a try if you are eating low fat. 4. I have substituted whole wheat flour for 1/2 of the white flour.
Hope you enjoy them!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot all about these until I saw the title of the blog entry.... My tummy got all excited :-D

    ReplyDelete